In the modern era, technology plays a great role. In the olden days, the main way of communication is through the post. You have to post a letter on the post office and the letter will reach to the receiver after some days. Or even in the worst case, the letter may never reach the receiver.
Flashback. Do you remember the days when you saw a postman standing in front of your door and calling you? That time, suddenly many questions arise in mind like who send the letter, what is the message inside the letter like a ton.
The old days of the mailbox (post box) are gone. Today we are leaving in an OZ world of technology where everything is super fast.
In today’s world, no one has time. Everyone is busy with their work.
So, instant messaging platforms like WhatsApp is sky rock now. Every second person is on WhatsApp.
Do you know a fact?
WhatsApp has the highest number of active users in India only. People are using WhatsApp every single day.
I think the main reason for the popularity of WhatsApp is it’s absolutely free and fast. What we need beyond this.
Let’s come to the topic.
Everything runs fine when we use WhatsApp on the same phone. But the problem starts when we change the device.
Whatever may the region of changing mobile, but we do so occasionally.
Then the question arises how to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone?
Because we don’t want to lose the chat messages on our old phone.
Fortunately, WhatsApp gives a solution to this. No matter you are using iOS or Android there is a solution.
How to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone?
To make it simple I have divided the process into some steps. Some method you may know or some methods are new for you.
WhatsApp also concerned about the methods already. So it provides various options for this.
People are facing trouble for backup chats in WhatsApp. So let’s see some easy methods.
Google Drive backup
This is one of the methods for how to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone. This is the most common and well-known backup method for Android. The latest version of WhatsApp includes automatic Google Drive backups. Now you may have the doubt that “how to restore WhatsApp backup from Google drive”. Let’s find out.
So it makes the process automatic and easier.
- Tap on the three-dot on the upper right side corner.
- Go to setting
- Now you have various options like Account, Chat, Notification
- Click on the Chat option
- On the next screen, you will see an option named Chat backup. Click on that.
- Now you have a screen like this.
Here you can manually backup the chats or can automate the process.
According to your requirement, you can set the options on this page. The options you may set like how often you want to back up daily, weekly etc. Should your backup includes videos or not.
After successful back up you may close the app. Your chats are on Google Drive.
Now it’s new phone time.
Steps to follow
- First Add the same Google account to your new phone that you used to perform the backup on your old phone.
- Install WhatsApp on your new device as you did on the old one.
- Launch WhatsApp from your Home screen or from the app drawer.
- Tap Agree and continue.
- Enter your same number on the old phone and Verify your phone number, just like you did the first time you set up WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp will prompt you the backup
If WhatsApp doesn’t detect a backup, there may be various regions for that.
- You aren’t logged into the same Google account (You have taken back up).
- You aren’t using the same phone number that was used to create the backup.
- A backup file doesn’t exist on the Google Drive account.
Tap Restore to restore your WhatsApp chats from your Google Drive backup. Tap Next.
Your WhatsApp on your new phone is just like it was on your old phone. Now you have clarity about how to restore WhatsApp backup from Google drive.
This process isn’t entirely foolproof and may not work every time. You may have to uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall it a couple times for the restore to take effect. This also risky because continually reinstalling WhatsApp may result in a temporary ban by the WhatsApp.
Restoring chats using SD card
We are in search of answers against your query how to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone. This is also a method. If your old Android phone and new Android phone both have SD card option, you can try this method.
I said like that because many phones nowadays don’t have an option for external SD card. If you have you are lucky enough.
Do you know, whenever you back up to Google Drive, WhatsApp also backs up and stores it on your phone’s internal memory as well. Which means it’ll take up some space on your SD card.
After back up simply take the SD card out of your old phone, and put it into your new one.
Steps to follow
- If your old phone doesn’t have SD card then the backup file stored in phone’s internal storage.
- You can easily find it. Just navigate to the internal memory of the device and go to the folder WhatsApp / Database.
- In SD card the path will be sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases.
- This is where all the backup files are saved with a date. They will look something like “msgstore-2015-07-14.db.crypt”. The file name may vary in your case but the format is like this. Don’t change the number of the crypt extension.
- Connect your old phone to a PC and Copy the file with the latest creation date onto your PC where you can find it easily.
- Install WhatsApp on your new device but do not start the app.
- Connect your new device to the PC using a USB cable. As you have already downloaded WhatsApp onto your new handset, the folder WhatsApp / Databases should already be created. If not, you can manually create a new Databases folder in the WhatsApp folder.
- Copy your WhatsApp conversation backup file (that you have copied to your PC) into this folder.
- In the case of the SD card, you can follow the same procedure.
- Now start WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your old mobile number. You should now get a prompt saying backup was found. Just tap Restore.
Done. If everything goes fine, after a few seconds, all of your messages should have appeared on your new device.
Oh, what a tricky and complicated process. Is not it.
Let’s move forward on our journey toward how to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone.
Backing up between Android and iPhone
As of now, we have discussed various methods for how to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone only for Android to Android.
If someone changes the phone from Android to iOS platform then? How to transfer WhatsApp to new iPhone? Is there any method for this?
Well, the answer is you’re out of luck. What! “out of luck” why?
When you back up WhatsApp on your Android phone, you back up will save in Google Drive. You know already that Android WhatsApp app uses is own (Google’s) Google Drive to back up and restore.
But in iOS, the iOS app uses iCloud to do both of those. There is no recommended way to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android.
You may have this doubt. I am using iOS Google Drive app, can I back up. No, you can’t restore your Android WhatsApp files. Because the iOS WhatsApp will only communicate with iCloud.
Some third-party app claims that they can manage this. But you have to say my question’s answer.
Do you trust a third party app that to store your personal chats and images? If your answer is yes then you may search for them.
If you ask me my question, my simple answer is NO. So I am not discussing that third-party method because I have no trust in them.
Always use the trusted ways to back up chats in Whatsapp.
Before taking any back up attempt just visit the WhatsApp’s back up and restore instructions.
These are some methods how to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone. I think this article will useful for everyone once in a life. Because whenever you change your mobile you need to back up and restore WhatsApp chats. There may be a tricky method for your query how to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone.
In the above methods, there is an easy method and a quite difficult method. Not difficult but quite complicated. Choose as you wish and don’t forget to visit the Whatapp’s back up and restore instructions before you go for any restore and back up.
As WhatsApp gives us a free and fast way to communicate, the popularity is growing. Sometimes WhatsApp chat contains some important talks and we don’t want to lose this. In this situation, the back up is very helpful to us.
WhatsApp has become a part of our life. So more and more knowledge about it is always good. Who knows when the little bit of knowledge is very helpful in life.
Are there any other solid methods you’ve tried how to restore WhatsApp messages on new phone? Leave a comment below and let me and other people know.
If you have got any value from this article don’t forget to share. Because who knows, your sharing may help someone to restore their WhatsApp messages on new phone.